Photos

A bright future for Dyess, community partners

The Abilene Chamber of Commerce bought the land for Dyess to be built on in the early 1940s Sept. 10, 2011, at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas. After Tye Army Airfield was closed in 1942, the government sold the land to the city of Abilene for one dollar. Abilene would later sell the land back to the government asking that they bring the base back. It was re-opened on April 8, 1943 and renamed Abilene Army Air Base. (Courtesy photo)

PHOTO BY:
VIRIN: 110910-F-GD464-049.JPG
FULL SIZE: 6.88 MB
Additional Details

No camera details available.

IMAGE IS PUBLIC DOMAIN

Read More

This photograph is considered public domain and has been cleared for release. If you would like to republish please give the photographer appropriate credit. Further, any commercial or non-commercial use of this photograph or any other DoD image must be made in compliance with guidance found at https://www.dimoc.mil/resources/limitations, which pertains to intellectual property restrictions (e.g., copyright and trademark, including the use of official emblems, insignia, names and slogans), warnings regarding use of images of identifiable personnel, appearance of endorsement, and related matters.