Dyess AFB Voting Assistance Program

Current as of Dec. 5, 2019

Why is voting different for military members and their families?
Military voting is different because extended or overseas absences can prevent service members from using normal state voting rules. A special law, called the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) requires that the states and territories allow certain groups to register and vote absentee in federal elections. 

What if I am deploying?
Departing members should take a copy of two voting forms with them:  the SF-76, or Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), and the SF-186 (FWAB), or Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot. Personnel Support for Contingency Operations team members can help. PERSCO teams should also have copies of the SF-76 and SF-186. The SF-76 is available at the Federal Voting Assistance Program Web site

Who is eligible to vote under the UOCAVA law?
All members of the U.S. uniformed services (on active duty) including Merchant Marines, their family members and U.S. citizens residing outside the U.S.

Do all military members vote under the UOCAVA law or can I vote locally?
Military and family members stationed/working in their voting residence city and state, may vote locally at the polls or use their state's absentee process. Each state has specific residency and voter registration requirements.  State rules and most required forms can be found at the FVAP Web site . Voters using UOCAVA protections continue to remain voting and tax residents of their home state without regard to the places their duty has taken them. 

Where is my "legal voting residence?"
For voting purposes, the  "legal voting residence" can be the state or territory where the service member last resided prior to entering military service or the state or territory that a service member has since claimed as the legal residence. To claim a new legal residence, one must have simultaneous physical presence and the intent to return to that location as the primary residence.

How do I vote by absentee ballot?
Complete and mail the Federal Post Card Application Form (SF-76).  Contact your installation voting assistance officer through your base operator for more information.

Where do I get the form?
The SF-76 can be obtained from a voting assistance officer or from a PERSCO team in deployed locations. It is also available online at the www.fvap.gov website.

How do I complete and send the form?
Many states have specific rules. Please use the "FPCA Wizard" which guides you according the requirements of your state. You can also look up those requirements in the Voting Assistance Guide at www.fvap.gov/vao/guide.html  
Depending on the rules of the state, voters can mail or use electronic means for registering and requesting ballots (email or fax, etc.). Although there is a deadline, some states allow late registration.

Since my family members are not in the military, can they vote absentee?
The law entitles eligible family members of military personnel to vote absentee. 

What other resources are available to me?
To learn more about voting rights and the tools available for Airmen and their families, please visit the Air Force Personnel Center.

How do I find voting assistance at Dyess AFB? 

The Installation Voting Office is located at Airman and Family Readiness Center, 382 Ave D, Bldg 7215. The phone is (325) 696-4000 or DSN 461-4000. The email is vote.dyess@us.af.mil It is best to email first then call for assistance.