|COLONEL GLEN D VANHERCK|
Colonel Glen D. VanHerck is the 7th Bomb Wing Commander, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas. As commander, he is responsible for the health and welfare of more than 12,000 active duty members, civilian employees and family members. In addition, he provides combat-ready B-1 aircraft, crews and associated combat support for global engagement taskings.
Colonel VanHerck was born in Murray, Kentucky and grew up in Bismarck, Missouri. He is a graduate of the University of Missouri and was commissioned through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He has a diverse background that includes operational and training assignments in the F-15C and B-2A. He has served as an Instructor Pilot and Flight Examiner in the F-15C, B-2A, and the T-6A. Additionally, he served as a USAF Weapons School Instructor in the F-15C and the B-2A.
He has commanded at the Squadron, Group, and now Wing Command levels. Additionally, he has served as a Deputy Operations Group Commander and Vice Wing Commander. His staff assignments include tours at Headquarters Air Combat Command and the United States Strategic Command.
Prior to his current assignment, Col VanHerck served as the Director, Plans and Integration, Joint Functional Component Command for Global Strike, United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Nebraska.
1987 Bachelor of Science/Liberal Studies, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
1995 Squadron Officers School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence), Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Master's degree in Aviation Safety/Management, University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg, Mo.
2005 Air War College (correspondence), Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master's degree in National Security and Strategy, Naval War College, Newport Naval Station, R.I.
2008 Naval War College, Naval Station Newport, Newport, R.I.
2009 U.S. Air Force Executive Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
1. January 1988 - January 1989, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. February 1989 - May 1989, Student, Lead-in-Fighter Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. June 1989 - November 1989, Student, F-15C Replacement Training, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
4. November 1989 - December 1993, F-15C Aircraft commander, Mission Commander, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, 44th Fighter Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
5. January 1994 - June 1994, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. July 1994 - May 1997, Chief, Weapons and Tactics, Flight Commander, Assistant Director of Operations, 94th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
7. May 1997 - July 1998, F-15C Instructor Pilot, Chief of Safety, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. August 1998 - March 2001, Assistant Director of Operations, 393rd Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
9. April 2001 - December 2001, Director of Operations, 325th Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
10. January 2002 - July 2004, B-2 Program Element Monitor, Chief, Air Combat Command Senior Officer Management, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
11. July 2004 - December 2004, B-2 Re-qualification Training, 394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
12. January 2005 - January 2007, Commander, 325th Weapons Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
13. January 2007 - July 2007, Deputy Commander, 509th Operations Group, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
14. August 2007 - June 2008, Student, U.S. Naval War College, Newport Naval Station, R.I.
15. July 2008 - August 2008, Student, T-6A Pilot Instructor Training, 559th Flying Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
16. September 2008 - January 2010, Commander, 71st Operations Group, Vance AFB, Okla.
17. January 2010 - June 2010, Vice Commander, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance AFB, Okla.
18. June 2010 - June 2012, Director, Plans and Integration, Joint Functional Component Command for Global Strike, United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
19. Jul 2012 - Present, Commander, 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,000
Aircraft flown: T-1A, T-6A, T-37, T-38A, A/T-38B, T-38C, F-15A/B/C/D, B1B, B2A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Distinguished Graduate/ATC Commanders Trophy/Flying Award/Military Training Award - Undergraduate Pilot Training
Distinguished Graduate/Air-to-Air Top Gun - Lead In Fighter Training
Distinguished Graduate - F-15 Replacement Training
Distinguished/Outstanding Graduate - U.S. Air Force Weapons School F-15C Class 94A
Distinguished Graduate - T-6A Pilot Instructor Training
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant -- Sept. 16, 1987
First Lieutenant -- Sept. 16, 1989
Captain -- Sept. 16, 1991
Major -- Aug. 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel -- Feb. 1, 2003
Colonel -- Sept. 1, 2007